Friday, June 17, 2016

may 25, 2016

We went to Makeni today to take all the electrical stuff to wire our apartment as well
as the electrical fixtures. The apartment is quite nice and almost finished. While we
were there we visited the 4 missionaries. We ended up asking one set of missionaries
to go out to lunch with us. Neither of them had eaten in a restaurant for quite a long
time. They only knew of two restaurants but had no clue of their quality. We chose to
go to the hotel to eat. It was really really nice. We were the only customers and we
were treated royally. Our bill was 200,000 Leones ($35.00).

While we were visiting at the end of lunch, I asked the African Missionary what it means
to be legally engaged. He told me if a man and woman live together for 3 years they
are considered legally engaged. If the woman dies after being with a man for 3 years,
he is required to marry her dead body and pay for the funeral. She cannot be buried
until he pays for the funeral. If he does not marry her, he cannot marry anyone legally
or be legally engaged. I asked what happens if the man dies. The answer was
"nothing, it's OK".

Don and I have been asked to speak at youth conference for the Freetown Stake on
Saturday. I asked the Missionaries what the needs of the youth are here in Sierra
Leone. The first thing out of their mouth was chastity. They said they have taught
"very many" young women who are 18 and 19 years old that have 2 or 3 babies. Then
they mentioned the Restoration. The theme for their conference is 2 Nephi 31:20
"Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ." Don is going to talk
about a scripture we read today from the Soden family which was 1 Nephi 17:13 "
And, I will also be your light in the wilderness; and I will prepare the way before you, if
it so be that ye shall keep my commandments; wherefore, inasmuch as ye shall keep
my commandments ye shall be led towards the promised land; and ye shall know that it
is by me that ye are led" and I am going to talk about the Book of Mormon centering my
talk on 3 Nephi 11:5 Looking steadfast towards Christ through the scriptures.

No comments:

Post a Comment